Monday, September 7, 2009

purpose..

You're probably wondering who this really generic looking chinese guy is.. and I'll tell you. But first, i think i'll indulge you on why i thought his eventual namedrop would be relevant in any way. This past week i've been pacing circles in my head about living a "purpose driven life". Sure, i have goals and aspirations like the next guy, but it's finding the merit in these things that i find standing in the way between self-satisfaction and discontent. I realized just after starting school that the majority of the people who showed up to a party my roommates threw were 17-19. Small talk of choosing majors and beginning their collegiate careers had me shocked at how soon my naive, childish heart would be thrust into graduate school and eventually, the real world. The phrase "the real world" makes me laugh sometimes b/c 1. it's a little cheezy and 2. it makes me think of "The matrix". Thinking about that tho, i realized being a student and living under your parents IS kind of like the matrix. Well, of course some people have it harder than others even as students, but in my case: I'm a completely dependent asian kid who has honestly never made an honest buck in "the real world", whose closest attempt at doing laundry was a walk-along (much like shadowing a doctor), and who still stresses about getting a fastpass at disneyland for space mountain before they run out.
So the guy up top is Yip Man. I just saw a movie based on his life called Ip Man (check it out if you like kung fu flicks) and it turns out he's the most gangster chinese guy ever. I'm not gonna go into a history lesson but he pretty much created a martial art called Wing Chun, brought honor back to chinese people during world war 2 in japanese occupied China, and taught one of the greatest fighters to ever live; bruce lee. Anyways, his biography made me look real close at myself. Here's another list btw you'll notice that i like making lists:
1. I am in fact NOT a kung fu master
2. I am NOT happily devoted to a beatiful wife and son b/c i do not have a girlfriend yet
3. I am NOT loved by everyone in my respective village and fail to receive goodies daily

All these things are of course out of context in my life but they prove a point. I want to change from "i want to be able to.." to "i am able to..". Whatever it is i currently find important, or some hobby/inspiration ill discover in the future, I want to be great at it. As insult to injury i just found out my roommate is loosely titled by Time magazine, "The greatest juggler there ever was". No joke. His name is Vova Galchenko and he is a juggling phenom. Youtube him.

No comments:

Post a Comment